Are you planning to enter the film or television industry? Then, it is important to understand the differences between the two forms of entertainment. This will help you decide which path is right for you. Of course, you can appear in films and TV series, but most performers stick to one – at least for the majority of their careers. For those who aren’t trying to get into the industry, learning the differences between a film and a TV series also helps you understand the type of production you watch daily – and which you prefer.
A film is a piece of visual art usually created to be shown in a cinema. It tells a story and is usually shot on celluloid or digital video.
On the other hand, a TV series is a piece of audio-visual art usually created for television. It is usually shot on video and often has multiple episodes.
The two types of production are different in terms of their content, format, and production process. Here, we’ll discuss the differences between a film and a TV series.
What Is a Film?
A Film is the result of combining a series of still images, or frames, that create the illusion of movement when played in succession. This is accomplished by recording images onto a medium such as celluloid film or digital memory. The individual images that make up a film are called frames.
In addition to the frames, films also consist of the sound that accompanies the images. This can include dialogue, music, and sound effects. Film is a relatively new art form that has only been around for a little over a century.
Also called a movie, theatrical film, motion picture, or photoplay, a film is a series of still images that, when shown on a screen, creates the illusion of moving images. This optical illusion makes the audience see continuous motion between separate objects moving in rapid succession.
Filmmaking is both an art and an industry. A film is produced by photographing actual scenes with a motion-picture camera, by photographing drawings or miniature models using traditional animation techniques, by means of CGI and computer animation, or by a combination of some or all of these techniques and other visual effects.
However, in that short time, it has become one of the world’s most popular forms of entertainment.
Read More: What Is the Role of a Movie Director?
What Is a TV Series?
TV series is a collection of shows produced or adapted for television broadcast with a common series title, typically connected by theme or another factor. Television series typically air once a week at a designated time slot, but they can also air more or less frequently.
Typically, television series are made to be open-ended and do not have a set amount of episodes. The shows in a fiction series often feature the same characters and fundamental themes.
You can say a TV series is a serialized form of storytelling that is typically shown on television. In a TV series, each episode builds upon the previous ones, creating a continuous narrative. This is in contrast to traditional television programming, which consists of standalone episodes that are not connected to each other.
TV series are usually broken up into seasons. Each season consists of several episodes, between 10-24 episodes, that air in a specific order. Some TV series are ongoing and don’t follow a traditional season format, while others are limited series that tell a self-contained story within a specific number of episodes.
Most TV series are created for commercial broadcast on terrestrial, cable, or satellite television. A television series can be anything from a few episodes, like a miniseries, to hundreds of episodes, like some soap operas.
The term “TV series” is most often used in the United States, Canada, and Australia. In the United Kingdom, Ireland, and New Zealand, the term “TV show” is more common.
A TV series is a series of television programs that are broadcasted on television. A TV series is usually composed of several episodes that are aired over a period of time, typically weekly.
Differences Between a Film and a TV Series
The film and television industries are massive global businesses producing a wide variety of content for audiences worldwide. While there are many similarities between the two industries, there are also some important differences.
- One of the biggest differences between a film and a TV series is how films and television series are financed. Films are typically financed by a small number of investors who put up the money for the entire production. Television series, however, are usually financed by the network or studio that commissions them. Examples of studios are Paramount Pictures, Columbia Pictures, Universal Pictures, Walt Disney, and Warner Bros. Popular networks include CBS, Fox, and NBC.
- Another key difference is how films and television series are distributed. Films are released in theaters and then eventually made available on home video. Television series are aired on television networks and then made available on streaming platforms like Netflix, Prime Video, and HBO.
- Writing for television can be extremely difficult. While writing, one must consider many overall structures, a vast cast of characters, and their separate arcs. For these reasons, writers rarely write TV series alone. Instead, they have a “Writers’ Room” where multiple writers, overseen by the showrunner, plan what will happen during the season and on each episode. TV writing is highly collaborative. While only one writer may sign the final screenplay of an episode, many others influence the story and plot points inside it. Movie writing is rarely that collaborative unless the writers are working on a large franchise. In such cases, they may establish a writers’ room or crew for the story of each picture. Typically, a single screenwriter takes on the project and then creates multiple versions based on feedback from producers and studio executives.
Other Differences Between a Film and a TV Series
- In films, writers usually have a small cast of characters to work with. And they rarely get to build different storylines for all of them. Because films are time-limited in a manner that TV series are not, you only have around two hours to tell your story, so most of the writers’ attention is focused on the main character and possibly one or two other characters. Because TV series have more time, writers have greater freedom to develop the characters and their arcs. In addition, TV series writers have the luxury of a much broader cast from which many distinct tales and character arcs might emerge.
- One of the many differences between a film and a TV series is production schedules. Films typically have a much longer production schedule than television series. This is because films are typically shot all at once, while television series are usually shot a few episodes at a time.
- A TV series can be both boring and lengthy. A movie may last two to three hours, but a television series has no time limit. It might run for years. TV series like The Simpsons have been running for more than 30 years. Others like Law & Order and Family Guy have been on TV for over 20 years.
- People can relax and enjoy the entire length of a movie. People cannot, however, enjoy a TV series for the entire duration. This means they must wait for a new release date if the episodes or seasons are not yet complete.
- Regarding production costs, TV series are just as expensive as movies. The format in which the TV shows and movies are shot also differs. A TV series is made in 35 mm film, whereas a movie is made in 70 mm film.
The Timeframe for a Film and a TV Series
The biggest difference between film and tv series is the time commitment. Films are generally two hours or less, while tv series can be anywhere from half an hour to an hour per episode and can go on for seasons. This difference in time commitment means that films can be more concise with their story and character development, while tv series have more time to explore these elements.
Another difference between the two is the budget. Films usually have a larger budget than tv series, which can affect the production quality. Films also generally have bigger names attached to them, which can attract more viewers.
Lastly, the distribution method of films and tv series is different. Films are generally released in theaters, while tv series are released on tv or streaming platforms. This difference can affect how people watch and consume the two different types of content.
There are many reasons to watch films and TV series. They can be educational, entertaining, and thought-provoking. They can also be a great way to bond with friends and family. Whatever your reason for watching, there are films and TV series for everyone.
Now that you know the differences between a film and a TV series, which one is your favorite? Some people don’t like the time commitment that TV series require and would rather just watch a 2-hour movie. Others love watching TV series as they watch different characters develop and change.
Before you go…
Hey, thank you for reading this blog to the end. I hope it was helpful. Let me tell you a little bit about Nicholas Idoko Technologies. We help businesses and companies build an online presence by developing web, mobile, desktop, and blockchain applications.
We also help aspiring software developers and programmers learn the skills they need to have a successful career. Take your first step to becoming a programming boss by joining our Learn To Code academy today!
Be sure to contact us if you need more information or have any questions! We are readily available.